BROKEN BLADE COMPANY
- Year 171 – The battle of Deighcrag
At one point, the regions of Cul’Claimete and Kupferhügel were in a dispute over the lairdship of Deighcrag. This land was known for two things, its large hardy trees, and it’s high quality iron ore. There were of course trade agreements originally, but the greed of the nearby laird in Cul’Claimete finally overcame his honor. He sent his force of three-hundred strong warriors along with one-hundred-fifty Ioclaochra. But what this laird didn’t account for was that Deighcrag was home to a large amount of warriors from Kupferhügel including home to a rather large and well armed company of Ioclaochra called the Silver Blades. However, the combined numbers of Deighcrag was still only three-hundred.For two weeks the battle went on, wave after wave upon the heavily guarded valley of Deighcrag. But eventually on the fifteenth day, the wall fell and all out slaughter began. Soon the enemy was deep inside Deighcrag’s walls when they came upon the one-hundred-eighty members of Silver Blade Company. The company was led by a monster of a man, who stood as high as a draft horse and used a blade just as massive, he went by the name of Bjorn. Under him was a young warrior of similar stature, Yjor “Battle-Born” Hinrich. The two forces paused for only a moment, then they clashed. The battle went on for hours, the Silver Blade Company fought hard, leveling the odds more in their favor, but the enemy forces rallied and pushed them back, causing about a sixty percent loss in warriors for the company.As the company fell back, their leader now dead and lost. Their eyes turned to the second in command, who was behind enemy lines fighting ten men alone. The soldiers were cruel in how they fought Yjor, torturing him and teasing his honor. However, when one came in to finish Yjor, his head flew from his shoulders and onto the ground. The next one came in, then another, soon four of those soldiers were dead. Finally an enemy officer decided to put an end to it, and charged with his massive war hammer. Yjor parried, and though it saved his life, shattered his great sword. Now the men laughed again, if only for a moment. It was then that Yjor bellowed as if he was a bear and screamed “For honor! For Glory! For the Battle Father!” It was said that this scream carried over the sounds of battle to the remaining Silver Blade members, which caused them to rally, but this is just a popular rumor. From there on Yjor fought with only a broken sword the length of a short sword. It was then that the forces of Deighcrag rallied and pushed the enemy back, and was led by Yjor himself.After this event though, the main force of Cul’Claimete came in from the sides of the steep valley and took the keep. Deighcrag now belonged to them… But this was the beginning for Yjor, for he saw that his company was in tatters and was in need of new leadership. So on that day, The Broken Blade Company was born.
- Year 186Torcol Hinrich was born from Commander Yjor “Battle-Born” Hinrich and Shieldmadien Elsa Brach
- Year 210Commander Yjor “Battle-Born” Hinrich dies on mission to escort high ranking Syndar officals to safety.
Son Torcol “The Crimson” Hinrich takes up the mantle of command
- Year 226 – Ioclaochra Moot in Deighcrag (secured from Dominion control )This marks the day that The Broken Blade Union was created by Commander Torcol “The Crimson” Hinrich. The union consisted of two-hundred Broken Blade Company members and over four-hundred other companies and organizations of mercenaries and Ioclaochra. Even in that dark time the company would hire it’s members out armies in return for supplies, fair treatment, and other conditions to help make the lives of those who fought for silver more livable and fair.
- Year 235 – The Fall of the May’karThe Broken Blade Union consisted over one-thousand members at this point, and was stationed in Vandregon to wait for orders from Vandregonian commander. It split into two groups, with the army. However, the Northern half the Union was devastated while the seven-hundred remaining warriors helped and succeeded in the south with little to no casualties.
Volrok Hinrich is born to Commander Torcol “The Crimson” Hinrich and his wife Blacksmith Frejya Hinrich
- Year 236Deighcrag finally falls to the forces of the Penitent and the undead. Blacksmith Frejya Hinrich sacrifices herself to save Commander Torcol “The Crimson” Hinrich and yearling Volrok Hinrich.
- Year 246 – The RenderingThe Broken Blade Union is disbanded unanimously by all ranking officials in understanding that they need to start looking out for themselves and their men. If they are to survive the conflict then they are allowed to rejoin and help rebuild the Union.
- Year 249Volrok becomes an Ioclaochra and earns the title “Battle-Born.”
- Year 250 – DepartureBroken Blade Company takes it’s best unit, Blood Bath Core, to Mardrun led by Commander Torcol “The Crimson” Hinrich himself gets over to Mardrun, economic disaster occurs for the company leaving them in poverty. Loss of 30 warriors leaves the company in poor shape.
- Year 251 – New Hope!?!Treaty is signed and leaves employment opportunities everywhere!
Broken Blade Company finally begins to make revenue.
Broken Blade company takes on a contract with a minor noble to transport goods from Daven’s Reach to New Hope.
Merchants and caravan a ploy, is a transport of ex-convicts and straw. Led straight into a Mordok Raiding party.
Volrok “Battle-Born” Hinrich is sole-survivor….
- Year 263 – Stoking the ForgeVolrok reappears in the trade of Ioclaochra for the first time in 13 years of doing odd jobs as a bodyguard here and there.
Begins to make plans to rebuild The Broken Blade Company and Union.
- Year 264 – Begin the ForgingRecruits begin to pour into Commander Volrok “Battle-Born” Hinrich’s ranks. Training with the aid of Pack Longfang going smoothly.
About Broken Blade Company
The plain and Simple:
The Broken Blade Company is a faction of honorable warriors, magi, and clerics that sell their skills and honor for silver, supplies or high end favors. A sort of Rent-A-Unit if you would.
The long boring part:
The Broken Blade Company as a faction is a proud and honorable of group of warriors, magi, and clerics from all over Mardrun. The Broken Blade Company then hires out these people for silver, supplies, and for favors of considerable value. However, this group does not just hire out its units to anyone, the employer has to have an honorable reputation and has a clean background. Due to this the Broken Blade Company may seem to have a very limited clientele, but in reality it opens up opportunities with the Ulven and those who wish for extremely loyal Ioclaochra in their service.
This faction has a rich history dating all the way back to 171 when the faction was formed (please see the history section for further detail), and as such has it’s own sub-culture unique to any other known Ioclaorchra company:
- Was one of the first companies to allow Syndar into the ranks. Eventually a War-Mage unit was formed under the command of a Silver-Blood ranked Syndar.
- Since the company was formed in Deighcrag, originally many of it’s members followed the teachings of Ulfkel, The Battle-Father. Soon these teachings became the bedrock of of the rules and honor code of the company itself.
- Originally, instead of burring their dead, the company would cremate them as to avoid the person possibly coming back as Undead.
- The warpaint styles that actually represent rank originally started as the spreading of ash over the warriors faces. With in a few months the ranking system was created and has been in uses since.
- The Anthem sung by the warriors is added onto by the new commander when he has made a mark on history. Currently Volrok has yet to make such an impact.
- Used war songs liberally in the past to both inspire resolve and fear.
- Was the only company known on Faedurn to have a dedicated unit of Battle-Born warriors. This is mainly due to the environment that the warriors were in and since most of them were followers of Ulfkel. The name for this unit was given to them by their enemies: Blood-Bath Corp.
Besides this the Broken Blade Company may seem a bit rowdy and eccentric when not on duty. This is mainly due to influence that came in when Deighcrag was taken control over by the Cul’Claimete. However while on contract or just not celebrating the members of this faction are considered some of the most honorable beings on Mardrun. Their manor and attitude just and filled with the code of honor drilled into them during training, a members word can be trusted without worry.
During off time and training, the members of Broken Blade Company work to better themselves in both physical, spiritual, and mental ways. This is done as to make sure not only the members of the faction are in the best of shape, but to insure personal improvement for better contracts for those members.
The majority of the current Broken Blade Company is actually not from Richtcrag, but rather is a ragtag group of honorable beings of all races and creeds. Ulven and Syndar are welcome and those who even worship different deities than the original members who formed the company. Due to this type of ‘salad’ of warriors, it is drilled into the members who do join that it does not matter what race or beliefs you or another may have, the both of you are warriors and brothers/sisters in arms first before taking in account one’s beliefs. When these are accounted for though, you are to respect them.
Joining Broken Blade Company
(( Character requirements: Armor Professioncy and corresponding Skill ))
If one was to want to join the Broken Blade Company, that being would have to brawl with the commander till he is satisfied with it. This is done to help the commander gauge the strength and skill of the one wishing to join the company. However, if he has seen first hand the skill the being has, he will allow joining, this is a rare occurrence though.
Advancing through the ranks!
The ability to advance your rank is only limited by how much work you wish to do. If a being is complete a set number of contracts, and shows the skill, that being will be promoted after a brief test (decided by the commanding officer who is present). The being may continue to try and take this test as many times as he/she may like, but only once a week.
For a complete list and Flow-Chart of the ranks, please click the link to download.
For a list of rank requirements:
Once you reach the third rank of the infantry units, the only way to advance forward is to become an Ioclaochra. Even then the advancement requirements continue to increase in difficultly. However with increased rank comes better opportunities of employment and better pay rate in contract negotiations.
BROKEN BLADE UNION
Broken Blade Union is a gathering of honorable Mercenaries and Ioclaochra that are of like minds and wish to help better the lives of their kin and companies. This union of paid warriors is headed by the Broken Blade Company, which helps oversee and operate the Union. Those who are part of this union come from many different factions in order to not only gain better contracts, but to also help them find contracts, build up a record that would be used to help find jobs for the member, and allow the member to stay part of their faction without having to leave.
(( Out of game stuff. The Broken Blade Union is an in-game group lead by Broken Blade Company. It is a laborer’s guild for mercenaries, Ioclaochra, and honorable warriors, clerics, and magi. Thus, being part of this Union is more like being part of a club than a faction, and as such allows your characters to be part of whatever faction they are currently or wish to be part of. ))
Those who do join under the union gain the following benefits:
- Aid in finding jobs.
- Fair and honorable employment with minimal chance of betrayal.
- Access to Broken Blade Union’s Information network
- Support if asked for in a task.
- If they screw with you, they screw with all of us.
- 1 Silver a Month payments
- This can be for one person, or a group of people, the more in your group, the easier it is